Ann McNabb, RN
Ossian Elementary School Nurse
If a student becomes ill or injured at school, he/she must report the illness or injury to a teacher, the nurse or to the office. If a brief stay in the clinic does not help, the parent/guardian will be notified to assist in arranging to take the student home. No student is to leave school because he/she is ill without first securing permission through the nurse.
Your student must be fever free, without medication, for 24 hours before returning to school. (See student handbook p.30)
Accurate emergency contact information is essential. (Parent/guardian contacts will always be attempted first.)
The State of Indiana requires that each student entering kindergarten needs the following immunizations before the 1st day of school.
- 2 doses of MMR
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B
- 2 doses of Hepatitis A
- 2 doses of Varicella (or history of chicken pox illness documented by physician/nurse practitioner)
- 5 doses of DTaP
- 4 doses of Polio/IPV
Any student not meeting these requirements will receive one notice; after two weeks, the student may be excluded from school until we receive notification of immunizations or appropriate exemption forms. (See p.32 in the school handbook for vaccination information. Contact the school nurse with any questions regarding vaccination requirements.)
MEDICATIONS at School:
* Medications must be brought to the school clinic immediately upon arrival to school and will be stored in a locked cabinet.
* Medication must be current and in the original container.
* Students are not permitted to transport medications home on the bus.
* A parent/guardian signed medication authorization form must be on file at school in order for medication to be administered to your child. (See quick link to this form on the right-hand side of the screen.)
A doctor's order or care plan is required for any student with a known medical condition (i.e. heart condition, seizure disorder, asthma, allergic reactions, diabetes or other illness requiring doctor's care, including recent surgery, etc.). A written doctor's order explaining activity restrictions will be kept on file for the school year. This must be updated yearly. A copy will also be given to the counselor so that class schedules may be adjusted accordingly.
ALL students will participate in P.E. and recess as scheduled unless a doctor’s order is on file listing restrictions.