June 22, 2020
Dear seniors and senior parents/guardians,
I hope this letter finds you well and your summers are off to a great start! As communicated previously, this year’s graduation ceremony is scheduled for Sunday, July 19 at 1:30pm (NHS gymnasium).
Graduation practice will be held on Saturday, July 18 at 10:00am in the NHS auditorium – all seniors who wish to participate in the July 19 ceremony MUST attend the practice event.
From the beginning, our intent has been to honor the wishes of our graduating seniors by holding an in-person ceremony. While an unrestricted ceremony was our goal, after considering the guidance recently received from the state of Indiana and the Indiana Department of Education as well as speaking to officials from both state and local health departments, the following protocols will be in place for our July 19 commencement ceremony:
- ATTENDANCE WILL BE LIMITED. Each graduate will receive four (4) tickets to distribute however they see fit. Tickets will be given to graduates during our July 18 practice ceremony and they will be transferable – if a graduate doesn’t need all four tickets, those tickets may be given to another graduate for distribution. Unfortunately, ATTENDANCE WILL NOT BE PERMITTED WITHOUT A TICKET.
- Graduate seating will be spaced out as much as possible. Regrettably, this means we will not be able to accommodate parent seating on the gym floor. Seating for all attendees, including parents, will be first come, first served. Doors will open at approximately 12:45pm.
- Attendees will be asked to adhere to common-sense social distancing protocols. Family members are welcome to sit together but attendees should distance themselves from non-family members as much as possible.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available.
- Masks are optional but strongly encouraged for attendees who might be considered “at-risk”.
- The commencement ceremony will be livestreamed via Facebook (Norwell High School Facebook account).
- In-door gatherings will not be permitted after the ceremony.
- Caps and gowns not yet picked up will be distributed during graduation practice on July 18
- A luncheon will be provided for graduates after our practice ceremony (aux gym)
- A DVD of the ceremony may be purchased. Click here for the order form.
Thank you for your patience and trust these past few months and for your cooperation in following the health and safety protocols listed above. Please know that much thought and consideration have been put into our decisions. Looking forward to a great ceremony later this summer!
Principal | Norwell High School